Pharos Rock Lighthouse

Issued in November 2010

The lighthouse stands nearly a mile offshore, signalling a group of ragged rocks. The first lighthouse was begun in 1703 and abandoned for the season at the end of September. Two months later a storm of biblical proportions swept away all traces of the half-built tower. The replacement was constructed in 1768.

Of all the Pharos lighthouses it was the most unpopular with keepers because it was hard to get to and even harder to get off again.

It is now the only automated and unmanned lighthouse on Pharos.

scan0078a 11 scan0078 11c

scan0079 11a

Pharos Rock Lighthouse

SK NumberTypeDescription
111825p Shades of Dorset Rose and Smartie Blue
11aSheet of 30
11baWindow beamer
11bbFlag beamer
11c25p used alone on cover

<< Previous Page Next Page>>

Comments are closed.