Loveless Head Lighthouse

This stamp was issued in February 2010

Until 1834, the southernmost tip of Pharos was known rather prosaically as South Point.

It was renamed Loveless Head by popular demand, as a tribute to the persecuted leader of the Tolpuddle Martyrs.

The current lighthouse was built in 1868, replacing the original tower of 1792. The tower is 27 metres high, and the light is 41 metres above mean high water. The light flashes once every 5 seconds and is visible 26 natical miles in normal conditions. It is still manned.

scan0060A

SK 2

scan0060

SK 2c

scan0061

SK 2S

<<Last Page/Next Page>>

Comments are closed.